Tuesday 3 August 2010

Spooky Scary Skeletons (and menu)

As you may have noticed, this blog is not a place where I generally put film reviews or recommendations (except for friends) however I advise you check out the funny, unique and touching film Skeletons, filmed in nearby (for me) Matlock Bath.

I was lucky enough to attend last night and see director Nick Whitfield, a charming and down-to-earth fellow who told us a little of the film's genesis and his experiences.
Himself a theatre director before moving to film, some of his comments led me to contemplate the differences between theatre and film, and the reasons why I have never been drawn to theatre as a career. I think it has something to do with control, memory and closure.
Every night a theatre production is different, with new directions, tensions and strengths, and when it is over it is never really over.
A film is, for better or worse, always exactly what it is and nothing else. Complete, enclosed, a loop which cannot be broken.

A play is a living thing, whereas a film is something preserved in amber. Both are equally beautiful, but I think I know why I hold the preference I do.
Control has always been a big part of working for me, not control of people or content, but control of beginning and ending, times and limitations. But even more important is closure. Things have to be finished.

One of things that thankfully *has* been finished (see how I linked that in), is the menu for Sunday...

SCREENING NOM NOMS
for your delectation

Vol-au-Vents
* Prawn Mayonnaise
* Sausage Meat
* Creamed Mushroom
* Mini Tomato Quiche
* Chicken

Additional Food
* Cocktail Sausages
* Chicken Strips
* Quorn Goujon
* Dips and dipping things

Drinks
* Bucks Fizz
* Various Juices
* Water

Also,
*Cupcakes! With frosting!

They will probably look like this. If I can get purple food colouring.

Now, I know y'all gonna want some of this fine cuisine, however I have to stress again in my Obsessive Compulsive way, your Facebook Attending Status HAS TO BE ACCURATE. If I'm making more or less food than will be needed, things become difficult.
We don't want things to be difficult, do we?

And though it pains me to say, I can't be slaving over a hot stove for 'Maybe Attending'. Just so's you knows :D

Make way for film!
Jim

1 comment:

  1. Argh, I miss out on purple cupcake delights :( Sorry I couldn't make it once again!

    ReplyDelete